Keeping children satiated with fats in their diet can sometimes be tricky. My two are generally calmer and more easy going when I keep up the fats but for anyone whose children don’t eat dairy, or are sick of dairy, or messy avocado in the lunchbox, you may want to try this!
This is a complete (winning) experiment which came about one day when we’d run out of cheese haha! My two loved them!
So, see what you come up with – I’ve added a few choices in the ingredient list for inspiration.
Makes approximately 24.
- 2 cups cooked rice of choice
- 1/3 cup sultanas (or dates)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2-3/4 cup creamed coconut
- A bit of honey (1-2 tsp? I just squirted it lol)
- Optional flavouring: cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg
- Desiccated coconut or chopped nuts for coating.
Or, turn them into protein balls for yourself or other adults by adding your choice of protein powder! (I wouldn’t recommend feeding children protein powder in general).
- Combine all ingredients except dessicated coconut in a mixing bowl and process until well combined. I just used a hand blender but a food processor is fine.
- Scoop by 1/2 tablespoonful and roll into balls, coat with dessicated coconut and place on a lined baking tray.
- Once all balls are done refrigerate for 30 mins or until firm/er. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.