This is a simple recipe using easy to find ingredients and including another twist which I find makes the experience more enjoyable for both parents and children – oil blends!
Choose and mix your own colours, oil blends, and quantities according to your wishes. This makes enough for about 1&1/2 cups of dough, and I like it because even toddlers can make it themselves! And they smell gorgeous and not like salt or oil haha!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cooking salt
- 1 tbs cream of tartar
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 cup flour
- A few drops of essential oil/s of choice (a few different ones can be used) – if desired
- 2 or three drops each of your choice of food colouring (if desired). Use 4-5 drops for a stronger colour.
- Heat water, oil, salt and cream of tartar in a pan over low-medium heat, until salt is mostly dissolved (if not entirely dissolved).
- Remove pan from stove and add flour, mixing quickly to form dough.
- Remove from pan and place on a play board or similar, and knead for a couple of minutes. Section into desired number of portions for your different colour/oil blend combinations. Roll into balls.
- Use your finger to poke a hole in the Centre of each ball, dropping in food colouring and/or oils of choice. Knead carefully, until thoroughly combined. I usually make 4 balls out of this size mixture.
- Now play! And be sure to seal in an airtight container or bag – they should last 4-6 months.